Southern Style Biscuits and Gravy.
If you’re a busy person and need to start off on the right foot with a full belly for the day.. DO NOT feel any guilt if you pick up a can of your favorite vegan biscuits from the refrigerated isle.. This gravy is so holy moly good, it’ll make you and whoever is enjoying them forget all about that!
For the Gravy
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 cups non-dairy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
Heat oil in large, shallow sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, sauté until soft. Add flour. Cook, Stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes, until flour turns golden. Slowly whisk 3 cups non-dairy milk and bring to boil, then immediately reduce heat to low. Add sage, thyme, pepper. Simmer, whisk frequently for 15 minutes or until thickened. Add nutritional yeast and salt to taste. Keep warm until ready to serve. If thickens too much, add tsp non-dairy milk at a time to thin.
If you’re feeling a little over zealous and have a little more time..
For the Biscuits:
To make the biscuits from scratch:
- Preheat the oven to 350. Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Whisk non-dairy milk and ACV in a small bowl. Put in the fridge.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the very cold plant based butter and cut quickly with butter knife into flour forming bread crumb-like pieces. Place the butter in freezer about 10 minutes before use. Super cold butter is key to biscuit success.
- Add milk mixture, mixing with spoon until combined. Lay out on floured surface and knead for couple minutes into dough. Use hands to flatten into 1 inch thick square. Fold half wise. Repeat 2-3 times. Flatten and stretch dough into 3/4 inch thick round.
- Use biscuit cutter or rim of glass to cut out biscuits. Place on baking sheet. When you cannot cut anymore from dough, re-roll dough, flatten out, and cut more from remaining until there is no dough left.
- Use your thumb to make a small depression on the top of each biscuit. In a small bowl, melt 1 tsp of butter with 1 tsp non-dairy milk and brush the top of each biscuit.
- Bake 12-15 minutes, until tops are golden. Serve hot, topped with gravy.