Chickpea macaroni salad microbiome boost bowl. That m-word.. microbiome. The new buzz word with true health implications.
This bowl has so many properties that are gut supporting. From the miso snuck in the Mediterranean inspired sauce to the fiber rich cabbage and other veggies, your microbiome will thank you for making this super quick and easy meal prep this week.
- Macaroni elbows (of your choice, serving number prepared as indicated by instructions and need for this week)
- 3 zucchini squash
- 2-3 cups chopped purple cabbage (this is usually about 1/3-1/4 of a purple cabbage, see video for visualization)
- 1 cup chopped sweet peppers
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can chickpeas 3-4 carrots, either ribboned cut or simply chopped
- Mediterranean inspired cashew sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews (preferably soaked for 1-2 hours in water to soften)
- 1 can black olives
- 1 can (6-8 ounces tomato sauce)
- 2 tbsp white miso paste or soup starter
- 2-4 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- Hulled sunflower seeds
- Purple cabbage, chopped
- Fresh dill, chopped
Simply cook the macaroni per instructions indicated. While that is cooking, chopped your vegetables and prepare your Mediterranean inspired sauce.
For the sauce: Add the cashews, fresh chopped dill, and water into a Vitamix. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
In a separate bowl: drain the black olives and chop into pieces (this is your preference on how small). Add your tomato sauce, garlic, and miso next. Mix to combine. Add the cashew dill cream to the tomato olive mixture. Combine until well incorporated.
Add all the chopped fresh vegetables, macaroni, and Mediterranean inspired sauce mixture to large bowl. Combine again until well mixed and all the veggies and macaroni are well coated.
Plate, bowl, and toss into meal containers for the week. Viola. It is THAT simple.