Pumpkin Pointers. Since October is just about over here are some pumpkin pointer to pump up your fall pick. Fall is all about the pumpkin. Beside the PSL basics, do you really know how awesome pumpkin is or even how to pick one? Check out the tips, tricks, and simple facts below.
- Provide a good dose of vitamin A and potassium.
- When picking one out, choose unblemished pumpkins with the stems intact.
- Should sound hollow when you tap on it, and feel firm, not soft.
- The easiest way to cook a pumpkin is whole, in the oven.
Cooking how to’s: Poke holes in the pumpkin to allow steam to escape, then bake for about an hour. Or cut off top, remove seeds and stringy pulp, slice out the firmer meat/flesh to bake, steam, or roast. Cooked pumpkin can also be used for pie filling or in other baked breads, cupcakes etc.
- One pound of fresh pumpkin turns out to be about 1 cup of cooked pumpkin.
- Complimentary seasonings are: allspice, cardamom, cinnamon, cloves, coriander, ginger, nutmeg, thyme.
- Roasting the seeds (20 minutes at 350 degrees) will give you a tasty treat high in vitamins, folic acid and iron. Pumpkin seeds have loads of health benefits.